Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:51:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   MySQL / apache tuning

I need some pointers on tuning a server.  System has 1gb of RAM, running
MySQL 3.23.57 and Apache 1.3.27.  The web site has at any given moment, at
least 200 people browsing online forums (UBB - uses PHP), which are
entirely mysql-driven.

I don't have the option of separating the DB out onto another box.  What
would some of you recommend for values to properly tune MySQL for this
environment?  Any special ways to make Apache run with as little memory
and as much speed as possible?

I am noticing that the box is using swap space, so obviously some changes
need to be made.  The forum in question has over 18,000 members, tens of
thousands of posts, and is updated 24/7 - so I'm thinking a table
optimization wouldn't hurt, but I'm looking for ways to tune the mysql
process itself.  What environment variables should I be looking to change
to get this as fast and small as possible?  (Yes I know RTFM, I'm looking
more for some answers along the lines of "I've tried this with the same
type of application and got best results with 'x'".

Basically I want to get this under the 1gb mark with lots of room to spare
(if possible), and increase the overall speed in the process.

Thanks!
- Ralph