Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 22:24:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        wollman@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet ip_input.c ip_output.c raw_ip.c

> >Since people is working on tcp/ip stuff, is there still a reason to
> >keep all the "TUBA" stuff in our sources ?
>
>    In my opinion it should be removed. The only reason one might keep it would
> be as sort of "reference" for implementing large IP addresses (TUBA = "TCP/UDP
> with Big Addresses"), but the TUBA proposal is clearly not what the Internet
> is going to in the future. I think the code is dead weight and only serves
> to make the 'real' code more difficult to follow and maintain.

This is exactly my opinion as well. And, if I am not mistaken, the
code is not even described in TCP/IP Illustrated, so I vote for
removing it.

I have mentioned TCP/IP Illustrated because the netinet code is
one of the rare parts of the kernel which is documented in detail,
and making changes to it is going to reduce somehow its level of
documentation. Still I think in some parts it would deserve some
cleanup since it has become almost unreadable. The addition of
T/TCP code has made things even harder to read.

Before I embark in such a cleanup and submit something, do others
think that a cleanup is useful, or it is preferable to leave it alone
in order to keep it close to the documentation ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/