Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:16:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ferdinand Goldmann <ferdl@atommuell.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fbsdboot.exe

Hello.

Can this thing (fbsdboot.exe) in any way boot an ELF kernel? I have
never used it myself, but I have a friend who wanted to try out
FreeBSD for the first time, and he was not able to boot anything
with this thing. The binary is on the 4.0-RELEASE CDs.

/*
 *      fbsdboot.c              Boot FreeBSD from DOS
 *
 *      (C) 1994 by Christian Gusenbauer (cg@fimp01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at)

And the source even says, that it was written by an assistant at
my university 8^), who, however, is long gone from here. "1994"
sounds like it might not work anymore. If it is obsolete, why is
the binary then still on the boot CD?

Please forgive my probably stupid questioning, but I currently
cannot try out this myself (who has a machine with DOS on it anyway
*g*)

Regards,
Ferdinand Goldmann