Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 23:31:03 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest030@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        "Denis Fortin" <fortin@acm.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a remote system

On Sunday 06 October 2002 02:31 pm, Denis Fortin appears to have=20
written:
> Greetings,
>
> The "makeworld" procedure to upgrade a FreeBSD system recommends
> going to single user mode at some point.
>
> I need to upgrade a system that's in Canada (I am in France)...  Is
> there a recommended procedure for doing this?  My only connection
> into that machine is a telnet connection into the ISP.

The recommended procedure is to set up the system to use the serial=20
port as the local console, and have a second system that lets you=20
talk to that serial port via telnet or ssh or whatever.  Of course, you=20
aren't likely to have that option at this point, so you are stuck with=20
doing what the rest of us do:  most of the time you can get away with=20
doing the upgrade in multiuser mode if you kick all of the other users=20
off the system and kill unneeded processes so that you are working=20
with a quiet system. =20

The other option is to hire someone who knows FreeBSD to do it=20
for you.  It isn't a bad idea to at least locate someone you can call=20
in to help, just in case you end up needing someone on site.

> Any advice appreciated...
>
> Denis Fortin, fortin@acm.org

Good luck,

- Bob