Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP: messed up my 4.3 system; can't recompile kernel etc.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, R. Lahaye wrote:

> First of all: I'm a very newbie in FreeBSD world.

that's fine, welcome aboard.

> All my problems started off with me wanting to update a few
> ports. I played with cvsup, which all of a sudden started to
> update into my /usr/src and /usr/src/contrib etc.

okay ...

> This was causing trouble when I tried to recompile my kernel.
>
> Apparently I have updated the system in /usr.

ok, could you provide better detail on what exactly happened?

if you simply updated the source code (/usr/src/), then you should
probably finish the update, then try to recompile the kernel.

i think most folks would recommend updating the kernel after you've done a
buildworld. (not, i should point out, a make world, which will install all
the new binaries

> Since I'm not yet in a stage of trying bleeding-edge FreeBSD
> releases, I would very much want to reverse that cvsup update.

you'd have to change the flags for the cvsup. you could, of course, just
follow -STABLE.

> I have the 4.3 CDROM installation.

you can reinstall the source code from this.

> Can someone tell me the best way how to get back to me original
> 4.3 system?

if the system is running fine, then you can just install the source code
through /stand/sysinstall (assuming you have the disk in your drive). i
personally would update the source to the latest versions with cvsup.

	# cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup4.freebsd.org \
	  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

and let it run. do it as root.

after it's done, recompile the kernel, and do a buildworld.

there's a recent security problem on freebsd, you may have gotten the
announcement. it'd be in your best interests to update anyway.

hope this helps you a little,

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
 "which then led me to realize leading my life by the motto 'i'm not
      as bad as jan' would still let me get away with A LOT"
	--- j. leah williams, University of Chicago, 19 Jan, 2001