Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:39:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce] Changes to packages collection in June 1998.

On 8 Jul 1998, Thomas Gellekum wrote:

> 	Add support for CONFLICTS entry to pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk and
> 		implemented -C switch in pkg_create to deal @pkgcfl
> 		entries. This way one can define a list of other
> 		packages a specific package conflicts with (e.g.
> 		install identical set of files). [frueauf 1998-06-05]

This should be handled automatically.  Some pkg_*(1) command
should search all PLISTs stored in whatever PKGDBDIR is
associated with the current PREFIX and print a warning if a
conflict is found.  I don't see any benefit to defining a
CONFLICTS variable at all.  I don't think we should copy this at
all.

> 	Add USE_MOTIF to bsd.pkg.mk, and use it in the packages which
> 		use Motif - this checks for a Motif installation, and,
> 		if not available, will install Lesstif. Delete HAVE_MOTIF,
> 		MOTIF_STATIC, REQUIRES_MOTIF and MOTIF_ONLY.
> 		[agc 1998-06-09]

Not as good as a generic solution, but solves the specific
problem, I suppose.

> 	Added automatic manual page handling to bsd.pkg.mk, backwards-
> 		compatible with the current practice of using MANx and
> 		CATx definitions in the package Makefile. The new way finds
> 		the manual pages by scanning the PLIST. [agc 1998-06-18]

My initial reaction was "ugh".  I don't really see what they hope
to gain from this?  Using the MANx variables is pretty simple
(they weren't filling them in by hand, were they!?!) and lets
users easily see what manpages exist.

[Caveat: I haven't looked at their actual code]

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk