Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:27:21 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Jamie Jones <jamie@bishopston.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, davids@webmaster.com, dkelly@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Emulation: eg WordPerfect (was Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows))))

Jamie Jones said on Jul  9, 2000 at 21:47:11:

> > If the version under emulation were officially supported, why wouldn't you
> > buy it? Is it purely for 'religious' reasons?
>
> I tend to think of running programs under the emulation API as unsupported.
> If it were officially supported, that would tip the scales a bit. I may be
> wrong, but I would trust a native version more than an emulated version, and
> would be much more likely to pay for something that installed "cleanly"
> without me having to install a whole load of Linux libraries etc.

This reminds me: Corel's WordPerfect 2000 for linux runs under wine, a
project that hasn't even reached a "beta" stage of stability yet.
It's got reasonably good reviews. There are apparently some
performance and window-handling issues which seem to be wine-related,
but nothing show-stopping, it seems, though I haven't tried it myself.
And nobody is suggesting that Corel's level of support for the linux
version will be less because it runs on wine, or that corporate
support for linux is becoming undermined because of wine.

So why worry about running linux binaries under FreeBSD, something
which works an order of magnitude better than wine?  If one can get
companies to support that officially, that certainly looks like a big
gain to me.  Aiming to remove linux compatibility is not only
unrealistic but extremely undesirable.

Rahul.