Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2002 01:15:52 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        anthony@freebie.atkielski.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking permissions on Windows 2000 (Server Edition)

>Charles writes:
>
> > ...and dead...
>
>Not because it was secure.  Mostly because it was too bloated for the
>hardware available to run it at the time, and because of continued
>mismanagement of the product commercially.  It did have a few drawbacks,
>but
>no more than UNIX, and it had many advantages over UNIX.  Today, it would
>run considerably faster than Windows if it were converted to a PC platform
>(but probably still slower than UNIX).

Certainly, it would be very interesting to see a modern implimentation. I
wonder if some of its ideas could be incorporated into Unix, though some of
the best are so 'not Unix' that the entire culture of the OS would need an
overhaul, but still it would be interesting. We always have Plan9, MVS, and
VMS for *really* alternative operating systems, but I digress.