Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:44:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command-line editing [was NetWare client in -current]

Parag Patel wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:39:34 BST, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
 > >It gets complicated very quickly.
 >
 > Oh I agree - but I still think it should only need to be in one place
 > rather than in a library or in each individual app.

It _is_ in one place if it's in a library.  And personally
I think that's exatly where it belongs.  Does libedit ring
a bell...?

 > Wouldn't you like to see your custom zsh-style bindings and prompts
 > inside gdb, for instance?  How about ftp?  pgsql?

That's exactly what libedit could be used for (although it
could need a few technical improvements, IMO, but the basic
concept is there).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)