Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:48:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> The Fifth Circuit court ducked the issue, the District Court ruling is
> the one I was referring to. I'd love a solid precedent saying that
> commercial web sites were covered by the ADA.

The District Court ruling doesn't count for much, since the the appeals
case.  I too would like very much to see a solid precedent, one way or the
other (hopefully that web sites are public accomadations, since they are).

> As for the costs - I gave up trying to tell people that five years
> ago, because nobody cared. As far as I can tell, they still don't. The
> question of expensive retrofits was brought up in the congressional
> hearings on the matter, and the ADA doesn't require them. It's going
> to take something major to make most web designers notice. Since AOL
> agreeing to redesign their software for accessability to end the
> lawsuit with The National Federation for the Blind wasn't major
> enough, I have no idea what would be.

While the ADA doesn't require major retrofits to bring something into
compliance, it does require that new construction and major renovations be
compliant, and has penalities for those that don't.  Since all web sites
postdate the ADA, retrofitting might be required.  Of course, many companies
can't look 6 months into the future, so it's no suprise this doesn't worry
them.