Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:51:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Building only a specified list of kernel modules

On 24-Mar-01 Peter Pentchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any severe objections to the attached patch?  (and no, I still have not
> taken the time to put my ICBM address into freebsd.committers.markers,
> so any objections will have to be in the form of e-mail ;)
>
> Something similar could be added for the sound/, netgraph/, et al
> multi-tiered subdirs.  Could try this in a followup patch tomorrow,
> need sleep right now :(
>
> G'luck,
> Peter

Peter Wemm has a much more flexible plan involving config(8) to solve this.
Instead of specifying the modules in a global sense, you would list the modules
you want to build in your kernel config file.  Then they would be built in the
same environment (same options, etc.) as the kernel.  This allows you to build
modules with INVARIANTS, etc. or MD optimizations more easily.  It will also
cut down on compile time as the modules will be built in sys/compile/FOO using
the same .o files as the kernel if ones are shared.  This will also probably
obsolete all of the src/sys/modules hierarchy, but I'm sure Peter can provide
more details if you want them. :)