Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:53:13 -0600
From:      CHris Rich <freebsdnews@gmail.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nothing works right when i try it, buildkernel problems..

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:46:38 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas
<keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2004-11-19 10:27, CHris Rich <freebsdnews@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to upgrade from 5.3RC1 to 5.3-RELEASE i cvsupped the src
> > following the instructions given by Adam Smith(?) in a recent thread.
> > I've read the handbook pages and some other things on the web on
> > upgrading your system
> >
> > buildworld completes no problem, but when i try do a make buildkernel
> > KERNCONF=GENERIC i get the following error:
>
> Hmmm.  Are you sure you are running 5.3RC1?
>
> AFAIK, perl5 isn't used in any part of the build these days, since
> it's not part of the base system.  In fact, a recent buildworld and
> buildkernel cycle for which I have a logfile contains no perl
> invocations.
>
> > I've tried going into ports to install perl5 but there is perl5.8
> > there as well and not sure which one would be better.
>
> The latest should be fine.  Ports that need an older perl version will
> take care of this behind the scenes.

This is my uname -a
FreeBSD arwen.localhost.com 5.3-RC1 FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 #0: Mon Nov 24
18:31:21 CST 2003

Though I'm far from being a guru and am quite the newbie at most
things so I'm going to try and install perl5.8 and see what happens

THanks :)