Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:20:59 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade fails to upgrade after using portsnap

On Saturday 18 March 2006 12:06, Jez Hancock wrote:
> Hi Donald,
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> On 3/18/06, Donald J. O'Neill <donaldjoneill@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 March 2006 08:06, Jez Hancock wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > For a long time I've been using cvsup and portupgrade to update
> > > the ports tree once a week; this has worked well for years now.
> > > Recently though I changed to using portsnap to update the ports
> > > tree, still using portupgrade once a week to update the ports.  I
> > > followed the method outlined in the handbook more or less for
> > > upgrading using portsnap, essentially running a cronjob:
> > >
> > > portsnap cron && portsnap update && portupgrade -arRF &&
> > > pkg_version -v -I -l "<"
> > >
> > > to grab and extract the latest port snapshot, fetch any newer
> > > port distfiles/tarballs and then report by mail what ports are
> > > out of date.
> > >
> > > This worked well for a few weeks up until Feb 25th - since then
> > > not a single out of date port has been reported and 'portupgrade
> > > -arR' fails to upgrade anything. I thought this might have been
> > > to do with the recent ports freeze, though checking now I see
> > > that only went on from the start of March...
> > >
> > > I've changed back to use cvsup and the old method - basically
> > > 'cvsup -g -L2 supfile && cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex &&
> > > portsdb -u' - but still no joy.  I was convinced it was the ports
> > > db files that were out of synch and thought this might do the
> > > trick to fix the problem, but unfortunately no - if I view the
> > > resulting INDEX file from this procedure I can see there are
> > > ports out of date as well, it's just 'portupgrade -arR' etc
> > > refuses to find any updates.
> > >
> > > Questions then:
> > >
> > > What could the problem be?
> > > For future reference what is the best way to purge the ports
> > > system of out of date db files and regenerate them all so
> > > 'portupgrade -arRi' will work?
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > > --
> > > Jez Hancock
> >
> > Jez,
> >
> > I think my first response was a little unkind and I apologize for
> > that.
> >
> > The way I see it, your cronjob succeeded in doing what you set it
> > to do. It just didn't do what you wanted.
> >
> > First, portsnap requires fetch to get the files it needs, 'portsnap
> > upgrade' doesn't do that. You need to run 'portsnap fetch upgrade'
> > or 'portsnap fetch' && ' portsnap upgrade'. Had you done that, it
> > probably would have worked and you would have gotten something from
> > the portupgrade portion of your cronjob. As it was, there was
> > nothing new for portupgrade to work with and report.
>
> Ok, I think you posted that before I clarified things in my last post
> :)
>
> By the by anyway... the issue I have is that when I run pkg_version
> or portversion I'm told there are a dozen or so ports need upgrading.
> However when I run portupgrade, portupgrade finds no ports to
> [...]
Jez,

I have no clue. If portversion is saying there is a port in need of
upgrade, 'portupgrade -arRi' should find it. That's a portupgrade
problem, not a portsnap problem. I would suggest trying portmanager and
see if that works. Both portmanager and portupgrade work for me. There
are times where I prefer to use one over the other.

What happens if instead of using 'portupgrade -arRi', you used, say:
'portupgrade -vrR  bash', have you tried something like that to see if
it would upgrade?

Don