Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:06:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Excellent Gartner Group report: Debunking Open Source Mythsc

> The "free as in speech and not free as in beer" campaign has been very
> successful as a marketing campaign. Traditional UNIX and lately Solaris 8
> make it even more interesting. They also are "free as in speech" provided
> you pay fat sums of money.
>
> My assessment is that this only highlights the logical flaw in the above
> campaign. Free as in speech and free as in beer are one and the same,
> because the motivation to curtail the freedom comes from the money.

	"free as in speech"....my obtaining a copy of your speech does
not lessen the number of copies that can be made.  witness our own
cvsup system.  once person can cvsup and provide the results to
another with decreasing the usefullness of their own csvup (yes, if
we all cvsup together it can create a denial of service attack, hence
the statement A cvsup's and provides to results to B...not A and B
both cvsup).

	"free as in beer"....if i drink this here beer (its a Bass Pale
Ale by appointment to her Majesty the Queen), then you can not drink
the very same beer.  you could buy another and drink that, but its not
the same bottle of beer.

	that's my understanding of the difference.

jmb