Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 18:00:45 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, nrice@emu.sourcee.com
Cc:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, pst@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tonight's cvsup'ed -stable fails "make buildword"

>> >cc1: warnings being treated as errors
>> >/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include/stdio.h:366: warning: `__sputc' defined but not used
>> In other words, libskey is now broken even in -stable if -O isn't in CFLAGS.
>
>It also appears that `lpr' is broken for similar reasons.

Yes, lpr doesn't put -W in CFLAGS (this in combination with -Werror
would break lpr in CFLAGS because of warnings about sign mismatches),
but the "defined but not used warnings" are actually enabled by -Wunused
and -Wall, and lpr puts -Wall in CFLAGS.

Unused statics in "standard" headers are never reported, but buildworld
installs the standard headers in nonstandard places, and gcc's test for
standardness is simplistic.

The warning can be prevented by declaring all possibly-unused static
functions and objects in headers as having attribute __unused:

#include <sys/cdefs.h>
static __inline int __sputc(int _c, FILE *_p) __unused;
static __inline int __sputc(int _c, FILE *_p) { ... }

I don't know how to attach the attribute to the function definition here.

Bruce