Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2013 12:26:00 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: considering i386 as a tier 1 architecture

Hello, Eitan.
You wrote 1 =D0=B0=D0=BF=D1=80=D0=B5=D0=BB=D1=8F 2013 =D0=B3., 8:48:08:

EA> I hope this email is enough to convince you that on this date we
EA> should drop support for the i386 architecture for 10.0 to tier 2
EA> and replace it with the ARM architecture as Tier 1.
 A lot of people (myself included) uses FreeBSD on small "integrated"
 boards from Soekris, ALIX and others, equipped with low-power
 non-interl i386-compatible processors.

   Now such boards start (only start!) to migrate to Intel Atom, but
 not every Intel Atom platform is 64bit capable (it depends on CPU,
 chipset, BIOS and some other unknown conditions, but the same CPU on
 different boards could be and could be not 64-bit capable in practice).

   And these die-hard integrated mult-NIC soldered-memory soldered-CPU
  motherboards will  work for long time.

   I'm using -CURRENT on my board, because I need very last WiFi, for
 example, and as such boards are often used as small custom routers,
 it is not only my case.

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>