Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 05:59:24 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Jim <jameso@elwood.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clinical Software

Jim wrote:

> Quick question, I work at a Nursing home and have been working with
> FreeBSD to replace out our NT servers. A thought entered my mind today,
> all the users ever use is Excel, Word, Powerpoint, web, e-mail and the
> clincal/financal package for nursing homes. We are looking to replace our
> current package now, and I was wondering if there is any that will work on
> Unix.
>
> If we were able to find one, it would not be too hard of a step to move
> off of Windows alltoghter. The clincal software is all thats really
> holding us back.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

Hi Jim,

I don't quite grasp what you mean with 'clinical software' and/or nursing
homes. But what we wrote, somewhere in 1983, is a software package for what
we call here 'service flats'. AKA old folks home. This was done in
DataFlex 2.3. While highly portable it was one of our first packages and
as such not quite year 2000 compatible (SerFlex, that is, not DataFlex).
So currently we are rewriting it in Delphi 1.x, as well as upgrading,
modernizing, etc. it. Delphi 1.x, btw, is for 16 bit Windows and maybe
Wine, haven't tried it yet.

Currently our first priority is to get a Windows 3.x version that
does what we envision as we envision it <g>. But we are not at all
adverse to the idea of making an Unix release. Far from it in fact.
I see a clear path to XML based webclients driving a host running
some RDBMS back-end.

Anyway, if your situation can basically be supported by a package that
is intended to help run old folks homes, and if you're not in an awful
hurry then maybe we can work something out. At least if you're willing
to use Wine or so, since I don't see a short term alternative to
emulation. We're talking administrative software here, not lab directed
software. OTOH we 'just' completed our first design specs and are
working on our first prototype so the design is mallable.

Let me know what you, uhm, hear ;)

Roelof

Het Slakke Huis op http://iboa.nl.eu.org/Slak/
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.