Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 01:53:35 +0100
From:      Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb@luna.nl>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 hours to compile mysql?

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 01:32:19PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > The box is a 333MHz PII, with 64M ram. Do I just need more ram to be
> > able to compile in reasonable time, or is something broken?
>
> You probably need more RAM.  sql_yacc.cc is one of those "worst-case"
> programs as far as gcc is concerned; I don't think gcc can parse large
> case statements like this efficiently.  Adding "--with-low-memory" to
> your port Makefile, in the CONFIGURE_ARGS line, will help.

I have the same thing compiling mysql (daily updated cvs of ports,
and just yesterday recompiled my world).

I have a P2 450 with 256MB of ram. So, I don't think that RAM
is an issue here...

-Steve

--
Stephan van Beerschoten             Email: stephanb@luna.nl
Network Engineer                    Luna Internet Services