Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 11:39:36 -0800
From:      Pete Delaney <pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, karl@mcs.com
Cc:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net, Peter.Delaney@eng.sun.com, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net.hq.icb.chel.su, fnf@amigalib.com, bardhan@corp.megatest.com, hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: 4GB Seagate Barracuda (Hawk Replacement) goes nuts after a while

Morning Karl:

   > > I have noticed an interesting fact. Hard disks of some menufacturers when
   > > purchased in brand-name computers are much more stable than when
   > > purchased independently. Seagate is a good example. We have a couple
   > > of Seagate 1G Hawks in ICLs and they are working very stable.
   > > DEC uses Seagate Barracuda as their RZ-29 disks and they work stable too.
   > > But when we purchased two Hawks directly from a Seagate dealers we had
   > > lots of troubles with them. We had like problems with Micropolis.
   > > It looks like computer manufacturers do some additional testing and/or
   > > low-level formatting or HDD manufacturers divide their disks by
   > > cathegories using some tests.
   > >
   > > -SB
   >
   > No, the issue is elsewhere.
   >
   > Look to handling.  Many distributors and resellers abuse the drives when
   > stocking them or otherwise handling them in the course of retailing.
   >
   > Shock will cause drives to fail -- and not always immediately.  Anything
   > which damages or nicks the media, even slightly, will eventually result in
   > drive failure.

    In this case rebooting the disk fixes the problem, usually for a
day or two, perhaps more. If the media is dammaged I believe the problem
is recurring all the time, like my DAT tapes when I've got a write error,
the write ok, but on reading they get a media error, but then no matter
what I do, the error is always there. If I write a DAT and it reads ok, then
it seem to alreays read back ok. Seem the dat doesn't check what it writes.
I've never seen a media error that goes away by rebooting.

-piet