Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:30:20 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012086328.e3f4de@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spreading system across four fast scsi disks

mike mentioned,

> Richard E. Hawkins <dochawk@psu.edu> types:

> > 4x 9g cheetah 1500rpm U160 scsi drive
> > 2x18g cheetah 1500rpm U160 scsi drive

> > Anyway, the FreeBSD installation will run across the 4 small drives,
> > with the two large drives for catching data as models run.

> > But how to divide the four drives?

> Don't give swap it's own drive. If you're really thinking about giving
> it 9 gig, give it 2.x gig (x should be > 64K of memory so you can get
> dumps) on all four drives.

This is the part I find odd.

The reason I changed from 4 18g to 4x9g + 2x18g was to get the heads in
more positions.  What I'm not grasping is why I don't save time with a
dedicated swap drive.

>If you can split the drives across two controllers, even better.

That I can do.  I assume I put two little and one big drive on each
channel?

> > What about /var, though?  The purpose of the split is so that the heads
> > can  be in places likely to be used simultaneously.

> The second sentence is critical. For swap, the system is smart enough
> to interleave swap across multiple disks. Let it do it's thing.

Ahh, it can hit multiple swap sections at once, then?

> Vinum can do the same kind of thing with data partitions, though you
> can't boot off of them.

> > Would anything in / oustside of /usr get touched much while a fortran
> > program was running?  Would /var get touched more than every few
> > minutes?
> >
> > Does it matter anyway? :)
> >
> > I assume the program will be on /home (which I figure to give all but a
> > little of its drive) and relying on libraries (fortran, imsl, etc.) in
> > /usr.

> /var gets touched every so often. /usr/ will be where most of your
> user commands are, and will get read to run them. With your commands
> on /home, they will be swapped in from there if needed.

> It's really hard to say what to do with the rest of it without knowing
> what you're going to be doing with it, though. No, that's wrong - you
> ought to give it to me :-).

:)

I'm still struggling with it getting given to me . . . the purchase
order finally arrived yesterday, so I guess that (oncce more!) I'm to
within a week or so . . .

> For example, the 4x9g cheetas might be 1Gig FS, 2Gig swap, 6Gig /home,
> with vinum used to strip /home across the four devices, possibly with
> a a mirror as well. The four fs's would be root, /usr, /usr/src and
> /usr/obj so that rebuilding the world would scream.

When performance matters, I'll be using all or close to all of memory
in a very large array or two, running a single instance of a (possibly
multi-threaded) fortran program.  Each array element is only a few
words of memory, and they end up accessed in an essentially random
pattern as I either do an optimization (rather extreme dynamic
programming) or let the simulated entities interact (genetic
algorithms).  The models will generally run for hours or
days.

The two large drives will be used as serial devices at these times,
catching data for later analysis.

Hmm, when I'm not running models, /usr/src  and /usr/obj could live on
these drives . . .

thanks

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail