Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:21:36 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Craig R <craigery13@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, vkushnir@Alfacom.net
Subject:   Re: Framebuffer device under FreeBSD?

On 09-Nov-2001 Craig R wrote:
>  code and build it straight into the base OS. A linux compatability layer
>  could be made (similar idea as the existing binary support) so that more
>  applications would run, but the system itself would be independant. The idea

Why write yet another interface?
Is there anything inherently wrong with the Linux API?
If not, just Use It.

Ask the author of the code if he is prepared to dual license it to save time
writing it again (unless it's trivial code).

>  of framebuffers in general is good, as the XFree86 project appears to be
>  going very slowly with little improvement in performance.

Hmm.. I have to disagree here.. The Xv extension is very nice. The DRI is
looking good etc..

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum