Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:32:04 +0100
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <rohrbach@nacamar.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, ryanm@accn.org
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Secure Shell Q

you can also use single quotes, should work transparently for remote
commands. what happens is, that your local shell tries to expand the
wildcards when using dubblquotes
/k

Karl Pielorz (kpielorz@tdx.co.uk) @ Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 07:09:29PM +0000:

> ryanm wrote:
> >
> > Hello fellow FreeBSD users,
> >
> > Does anyone know why secure shell 1.2.26 will not expand wildcard
> > characters?? I am trying to do the following:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/ssh -C -l radius -i IDENT.FILE HOSTNAME "zcat
> > /home/info/logfile.*.gz \
> >                     | grep user | tail -1"
> >
> > It keeps saying logfile.*.gz not found. Any suggestions??
>
> Put a '\' infront of the '*' - otherwise your local shell will try to expand
> it, i.e. use "\*" rather than just "*".
>
> -Kp

"The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." -- W. Blake
http://www.nacamar.de - http://www.nacamar.net - http://www.webmonster.de
http://www.apache.de - http://www.quakeforum.de - finger rohrbach@nacamar.net
PGP Key fingerprint = F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44