Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2018 08:06:33 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Palemoon branding violation

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:37:54 +0100 "Andreas Andersson" <a=2Eandersson=2Ethn@gmai=
l=2Ecom> said

> So, moonchild (that's his actual name (or tilltalsnamn in swedish) ) migh=
> own the trademark=2E But atleast Swedish trademark laws
> https://www=2Eriksdagen=2Ese/sv/dokument-lagar/dokument/svensk-forfattningssa=
mling/varumarkeslag-20101877_sfs-2010-1877
> grants usage to other parties as long as "other parties" does not make
> money off of the name or the product=2E For him to actually enforce this it
> has to be registered by the swedish PRV http://www=2Eprv=2Ese and subsequentl=
> worldwide  by wipo=2E I've looked through PRVs database and nor does a sear=
ch
> on his name, full name or the variations of pale moon turn up any results
> in a search=2E
>=20
> Not saying we should keep this in ports tree and keep using the name=2E Jus=
> stating that there is nothing he could do about it unless he registers th=
> trademark and get's it registered (varum=C3=A4rkesskyddat in swedish=2E)=2E
>=20
> The reaction to the repo in question is also very weird to me, and possib=
ly
> what worries me the most=2E He is hurting his own trademarked (heh) product
> by doing this=2E
For the record; the name Pale Moon is owned by the Blue Moon Ale Company,
and has been in their use for some 20 years=2E As well as Kassiks Pale Moon A=
le,
Kassiks Brewery; Kenai, Alaska (retired)=2E
The assertion by the PaleMoon Browser author/maintainer,=2E=2E=2E is _completely_
unfounded=2E He can NOT claim copyright/ownership of the name, as he claims=2E
Nor has he attained as much=2E

Just trying to keep it real=2E :-)

--Chris