Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:18:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks / disklabel / vinum

On Saturday,  3 March 2001 at 15:03:57 -0600, Doug Poland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm putting together a vinum disk subsystem.
> For testing I started out with 4 SCSI disks
> and built a stripped plex and everything
> worked great.  This config had 2 drives
> in the chassis and 2 drives in an external
> case.
>
> So I get a 4-connector SCSI cable for the
> chassis and add two more SCSI drives (that
> I've previously formatted and put ufs on).
> FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE boots and recognizes
> all the drives (see dmesg at end).
>
> When I edited the disklabel (disklabel -e da4)
> I didn't see the
> 	(e: ....  4.2BSD  ...)
> setting under "unused".  I thought that odd
> because I've previously formatted, partitioned,
> labeled, mounted, and tested every drive.
>
> So I thought I'd let sysinstall have at it
> put ufs on again, just to make sure.  So
> I redo the partitioning and labeling and
> I still have vinum running on 4 disks and
> the two new ones are mounted separately.
> I went to disklabel again and still no
> 4.2BSD setting.
>
> So now I think it must need to be re-
> formatted.  So I fire off camcontrol
>
> 	#camcontrol format da4; camcontrol format da5
>
> and see:
>
> camcontrol: cam_real_open_device: couldn't open passthrough device /dev/pass4
> cam_real_open_device: No such file or directory
> camcontrol: cam_real_open_device: couldn't open passthrough device /dev/pass5
> cam_real_open_device: No such file or directory
>
> Now I'm really confused!  Why can I not see the
> 4.2BSD disklabel?

It tells you: No such file or directory.  You apparently don't have
the device nodes in place.

> Until I can set that, I won't be able to create a vinum volume.

Well, you almost *never* need to format a disk nowadays.  And
disklabel seems to be working, so I don't understand what the problem
is.

> Ultimately I want a 7 drive vinum volume but cannot get past 4
> drives.

You'll almost certainly need to create the device nodes.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.