Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:22:49 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Rink Springer <rink@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Artem Kuchin <matrix@itlegion.ru>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is a good choice of sata-ii raid controller for freebsd?

Hi, All

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:42:39PM +0300, Artem Kuchin wrote:

> I need a raid controller for FBSD 6.2 which has the following options
> [...]

For us the current solution is: "none at all".

The big big advantage of using geom mirror instead of a
"hardware RAID controller" is:

The disks will boot and run in _any_ system that is capable of
using the disks at all.

Dedicated RAID controllers lock you to the specific brand and
sometimes even model you use. Bad for desaster recovery.
With a geom mirrored SCSI or SATA disk, if an entire
system/mainboard/CPU fails, I simply plug the disks in the next
spare box available, boot, possibly change name of network
interface, done.

With hardware evolving so rapidly nowadays you cannot guarantee
to have another identical controller on the shelf when you need it.
Happened to us with ICP-Vortex (iir) controllers. ROHS - product
unavailable :-/ Successor not compatible in terms of on-disk
data structure.

We are now happily running RAID 1 and RAID 1+0 with geom.

Regards, HTH,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Vorholzstr. 25 * 76137 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100