Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:39:29 +0000
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd equivelent to the linux ethtool command?

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> On Saturday 28 October 2006 22:07, Dan Nelson wrote:
>> In the last episode (Oct 28), Jonathan Horne said:
>>> i have a computer that recently stopped obeying WOL packets, after i
>>> did a dual boot of freebsd/suse 10.1.  before i put suse on there,
>>> WOL always worked just fine.
>>>
>>> apparently, the linux driver for my network card, put the nic in
>>> "always off" mode, and in order to be able to WOL later, i have to
>>> shut the linux off in "wol g" mode (using ethtool, so it can listen
>>> for packets later).  even in freebsd now tho, its still not listening
>>> for WOL packets.  is there something in freebsd i can use to edit the
>>> behavior of the driver, to make sure the nic powers down in
>>> "wol-listen" mode?
>> I didn't even know you could toggle WOL outside of the BIOS.  Check
>> there, or maybe your NIC's config page (Ctrl-S during bootup for Intel
>> nics).

<SNIP>

> so, finally, this brings me back to my os of choice.  freebsd is using the
> same nic that linux and windows are using, and those drivers are configurable
> for wake-yes or wake-no.  now i just need to figure out if this setting is
> available to be adjusted in freebsd, and if how, how do i speicify it?

A quick google leads me to belive that this isnt supported in FreeBSD
currently, I found a patch for 5.3 if_xl [1] and a pr for a patch for
if_sis in 7-current as of july 2005 [2] which lead me to some patches
for 6.x at [3] so its possible but not committed.

hope this helps,

Vince

[1] http://www.wand.net.nz/~bcj3/420/userguide/remote.php

[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/83807