Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:47:04 +0200 (West-Europa (zomertijd))
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.steehouder@student.utwente.nl>
To:        Thierry Black <thierryblack@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Thanks and another question

Mail from Thierry Black, sent 13-04-2001:

>      Now I have a different one. does anyone here use unix scripting tools
> to create documents, and then convert to ps? How does the process work in
> general terms? I've heard of tools like Latex, but I can't seem to find much
> good information. i guess I'm looking for a good starting point and maybe
> some examples. Is this freebsd related? If there is a more appropirate
> forum, please suggest.

I use LaTeX frequently. As a physics student, I think LaTeX is the only
writing tool that handles equations well. If you want to use it, install
the teTeX port or package. It contains all the files you need. If I am
not mistaken, it comes with dvips, to convert its .dvi files to
postscript, and dvipdfm, to convert to pdf. It should also come with a
complete manual (search for .dvi or .tex files).

If you decide to use it frequently, I advise you to buy "LaTeX, a
document preperation system" by Leslie Lamport (the guy who made LaTeX)
and "The LaTeX companion" by Goossens, Mittelbach and Samarin, which also
handles many standard packages that can be used with LaTeX.

with kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
-O_\ Rogier Steehouder                                //
/ \  http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.j.steehouder/ //  \