Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:40:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), keichii@peorth.iteration.net, brad.knowles@skynet.be (Brad Knowles), kris@FreeBSD.ORG (Kris Kennaway), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GSM vs. CDMA (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c))

> > In case this wasn't obvious: don't expect your GSM phone from
> > outside the US to work in the US, Canada, or Mexico.  The US
> > GSM system uses a different set of frequencies, so unless your
> > phone is multifrequency as well as multimode, it won't work.
>
> You've jumped into this discussion relatively late (I hope).  We've
> already discussed this, along with the frequencies.

Yes, I saw that.  I was more thinking about who you would be
pissing off if you turned one of these things on in the U.S.
near a military base.

> > Actually, I've only seen a couple of phones that are capable of
> > multimode _and_ multifrequency, and they were very expensive; you
> > might as well just have two phones...
>
> That depends on where you live.  Triband GSM phones aren't overly
> expensive, there just aren't many of them.  I have a Motorola L+,
> which has different names in different parts of the world.  It works
> just about everywhere I have taken it, and it costs no more than its
> two-band competitors.  It's just a POS.  I really hate the user
> interface, and as soon as Nokia comes out with a triband phone, I'll
> buy one.  I did consider using the Motorola only in America and the
> Nokia in the Real World(tm), but I found that jumping from one
> interface to another was more of a nuisance than I thought.  It was
> relatively simple, though, since I just needed to swap SIMs :-)

Nokia has the 5185i; have you looked at it?

Most of the service agreements for the triband phones in the U.S.
give them the "right" to reprogram your phone on you: basically
a forced "upgrade".  Verizon is particularly nasty about that,
but for a flat rate and no long distance charges, I'll overlook
a lot, at least until the first time they zap WinCE onto the thing...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.