Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:18:38 +0100
From:      andreas scherrer <ascherrer@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update patches custom /boot/kernel/kernel which it should not

on 2.1.13 19:15  Paul Schmehl said the following:
> --On January 2, 2013 6:45:50 PM +0100 andreas scherrer
>> And from experience this is what it will do: replace /boot/kernel/kernel
>> which is my custom kernel with a GENERIC kernel.
>>
>> As it seems that freebsd-update works by comparing a hash of
>> /boot/kernel/kernel with the GENERIC kernel's hash I checked the md5 and
>> sha1 hash of /boot/kernel/kernel and /boot/GENERIC/kernel. They differ
>> (see [3]).
>>
>> So why is freebsd-update going to overwrite my custom kernel? And how
>> can I prevent it from doing so?
>>

> Read man (5) freebsd-update.conf.  Particularly the COMPONENTS portion
> that explains how to update world without changing kernel.

Thanks for pointing this out. I might change my freebsd-update.conf to
not update the kernel. But still I believe this to be more of a kludge
than a solution: in my opinion the handbook suggests that a custom
kernel should be detected and left alone. But at the same time a GENERIC
kernel in /boot/GENERIC should be patched.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
-----
However, freebsd-update will detect and update the GENERIC kernel in
/boot/GENERIC (if it exists), even if it is not the current (running)
kernel of the system.
-----

Furthermore if I remove the kernel option from the COMPONENTS in
freebsd-update.conf I think I will not get the kernel source patches
anymore, right? Which in turn means I have to get them via some other
mechanism, no?

>From the same link as above to the handbook:
-----
Unless the default configuration in /etc/freebsd-update.conf has been
changed, freebsd-update will install the updated kernel sources along
with the rest of the updates.
-----

I think something does not add up here but I can't get my head around it
(yet?).