Date:      Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:06:34 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   KWin no longer compositing?

I've just finished upgrading to KDE 4.7.2.  Apart from the errors that
others have reported I've found that KWin is no longer acting as a
compositing window manager.  Specifically, my terminals (Gnome Terminals)
are no longer transparent, the window bar at the bottom of the screen no
longer shows a snapshot of a window on another desktop when I hover over it,
windows no longer glow when they have the focus, etc.

In .xsession-errors I see this:

kwin(2319)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to unmap shared memory segment
0x2fb00000
IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
OpenGL vendor string:                   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string:                 Mesa DRI R600 (RS880 9715) 20090101
x86/
MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string:                  1.2 Mesa 7.6.1
Driver:                                 R600C
GPU class:                              R600
OpenGL version:                         1.2
Mesa version:                           7.6.1
X server version:                       1.7.7
Direct rendering:                       no
Requires strict binding:                yes
GLSL shaders:                           no
Texture NPOT support:                   no

The fact that Direct rendering is set to "no" is most likely the problem,
but I don't see why that's failing (DRI used to work).

I also see this:

kwin(2319): KWin requires at least Mesa 7.10 for OpenGL compositing.
kwin(2319): Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled
kwin(2319): Consult http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KWin/4.0-release-notes#Setting_up

Is that a new requirement with 4.7?  Compositing worked previously with
the older version of Mesa we have in ports (7.6.1).  That is going to be
a problem since 7.6.1 is the newest version of Mesa we have in ports.

Has anyone else run into this or has KWin doing compositing after the
upgrade?

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org