Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:30:00 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        Jason Garrett <kingedgar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attempting ZFS Only Install of 7.2

Jason Garrett wrote:
> >snip
>
> I see you tried the zpool import and export, but did you perform
> `mkdir /boot/zfs` directly before `zpool export tank && zpool import
> tank` ?
>
> I just have to ask because I did not see that specified, and you
> mention not being able to find zpool.cache. /boot/zfs is where
> zpool.cache hides out.
Yes I did.  However I figured out my problem.  I was chrooted into /dist
and the zpool.cache was being written to /boot/zfs (as you mention).
But because of the chroot, when I checked /boot/zfs, I was *really*
checking /dist/boot/zfs.  Thus my problem.  :)

However I'm still having difficulty.  I suspect I don't have a
/boot/loader that supports zfs filesystems as I just boot to the 'OK"
prompt.  An 'lsdev' only shows BIOS devices but I've seen posts on the
Net that indicate I should have zfs devices listed there too if I have a
proper /boot/loader.  I've used the one from both 7.2-RELEASE.iso and
8.0-BETA1.iso but no luck.  Do you know of any way I can confirm or deny
my suspicion?

Thanks,

Drew

--