Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:49:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/1027: panic on vm_map_insert (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 11:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From: FreeBSD-gnats@freefall.freebsd.org
To: scrappy@ki.net
Subject: Re: kern/1027: panic on vm_map_insert

Thank you very much for your problem report.
It has the internal identification `kern/1027'.
The individual assigned to look at your
bug is: freebsd-bugs.

>Category:       kern
>Responsible:    freebsd-bugs
>Synopsis:       panic on vm_map_insert
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Feb 14 11:30:01 PST 1996

-----

Hi...

	Realizing that I only submitted this on Wednesday, after I submitted
it, I did one major change, just in case...I recompiled the kernel using
gcc 2.6.3 (ya, I know, but 2.7.2 did work).  Today, I finally got a chance to
re-install that newer kernel, and the same thing happens.

	This code has been running okay on my 386 machine, but there is
virtually no load on that machine, as it isn't being used for anything
except to sit there and run right now, so nothing is really taxing the
vm_space...

	The machine I'm trying to get it running on is used for everything,
from news to httpd to postgres95 to...X sometimes (but with this new kernel
yet).  With the -stable kernel it has right now, she runs without a hitch,
haven't had a panic in weeks which leads me to suspect the vm code vs a
hardware problem (or else the new vm code is taxing a different part of the
hardware then the old vm code?)

	I have swap spread over 4 drives right now:

> pstat -s
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b      102400     3492    98844     3%    Interleaved
/dev/sd1b       32768     3456    29248    11%    Interleaved
/dev/sd2b       32768     3456    29248    11%    Interleaved
/dev/sd3b       32768     3456    29248    11%    Interleaved
Total          200448    13860   186588     7%

	I'd like to get -current running on this machine, mainly because
there are features in -current that I'd like to have, and because I found
that -current was more stable on the 386, then stable was on the 486...and
cause I like the idea of faster things like vm code and pipes :)

	Altho this machine is "live/production", I'm willing to test things
out and try different things to resolve this problem, since most panics last
me about 5 minutes, which I can easily account for (no users, just WWW
traffic right now)

	Also, even though I have savecore turned on, I don't seem able to
get a core file to diagnose.  I'm including my config file at the bottom
of this, just in case I'm missing *something* that I require to get a
core file, but I've checked out LINT and GENERIC for any flags I think
I'm missing, and...can't find any.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc

----- config file -----

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.46.2.6 1995/10/25 17:29:51 jkh Exp $
#

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		kinet
maxusers	32

options		"CHILD_MAX=128"
options		"OPEN_MAX=128"
# The following is for Wine Support
options		USER_LDT		#allow user-level control of i386 ldt
options		QUOTA			#enable disk quotas
options		DODUMP
options		DDB
options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		DEVFS
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options		"SCSI_DELAY=15"		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console

options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG

config		kernel	root on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

controller	ncr0
controller	aha0	at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector ahaintr

controller	scbus0

device		sd0

device		st0

device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
options		"PCVT_FREEBSD=210"	# pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.1
options		XSERVER			# include code for XFree86

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	speaker		#Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	tun		5
pseudo-device	pty		64