Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:28:26 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 303,000 routes in kernel

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 01:16:09PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:03:43AM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > > The problem I've got now is that for every packet I get the kernel is
> > > making one host entry in the routing table. Because of the many UDP
> > > DNS requests from all over the world I've got 303'000 (yes, three-
> > > hundredthreethousand) entries in the kernel routing table which have
> > > not expired yet. So I'm getting error messages like this now:
> >
> > Are you shure that these are not created via redirects when sending
> > the packet?
> > You might try to disable acepting redirects via sysctl and/or
> > setting the routes so that packets have a better chance to be send
> > to the right router.
>
> I think we have a winner here! With icmp redirect turned off the box
> having only three routes, link, net and default.
>
> This box is directly connected to the TIX Internet Exchange with
> 45 ISP. Although it does not do BGP itself it has one of the BGP
> routers as it's default route. Depending on where the DNS request
> came from the BGP router simply sent an ICMP redirect so the box
> could send the reply packet directly to that ISP. Unfortunatly the
> redirects are host routes this is why the routing table got so big,
> otherwise it would have stopped at 105'000 routes which is still
> managable.

I have managed servers (proxy, dns and news) in similar configurations.
You might think about exporting /16 and bigger routes via BGP or OSPF
to the server.
That way you don't need to have all packets go through your default-
router.  DNS servers are known to bring a good load on routers as
the packets are usually small with a high rate.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de