Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:54:58 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?R3VzdGF1IFDDqXJleiBpIFF1ZXJvbA==?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        attilio@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPSAFE VFS -- List of upcoming actions

    Sorry fo the delay.

    About the ntfs support, I'd go with fuse and leave the most relevant
filesystems in kernel space. In fact filesystems not particulary
specific and not tied our kernel would go to userspace; thinks like
smbfs, nwfs, ntfs, ext2 o ext4 for example should be in userspace (the
list is incomplete and I don't really know if all of them are yet
implemenent in userspace) in my opinion. That would make them easier to
maintain (changes in the kernel would only affect fuse, once fixed all
the userspace filesystem would work again).

    As a bonus, we would get many working fs based on fuse. In the
server side gluster is a desirable thing; in the desktop things like
gvfs (in the linux world gvfs is used not only by gnome but also by kde
or xfce) or truecrypt

> I'm fixing low hanging fruit for the moment (see r238411 for example)
> and I still have to make a throughful review.
> However my idea is to commit the support once:
> - ntfs-3g is well stress-tested and proves to be bug-free
> - there is no major/big technical issue pending after the reviews
>
> I'm now looking for people sticking with the branch and trying to
> stress-test ntfs-3g as much as they can. For example I know that
> Gustau (cc'ed) already had issues. It would be good if he tries to
> reproduce them and make a full report.

    I've seen ntfs-3g+fuse crashing a few times and IIRC most of the
time the problem happened while unmounting the filesystem.

    I don't have the core dump files at hand, so I'll try to fix gnn
patches to compile with my recent current (it doesn't compile, time ago
I fixed fuse but I guess those patches wouldn't be enough right now) and
try to panic the machine. When I do I'll do full reports of the panics.

> As final note, George as agreed to maintain FUSE in the long-term and
> of course I'll give him an hand as time permits.

    Any moment you need help needed coding, testing, etc let me know.

> Thanks,
> Attilio

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Departament d'Enginyeria Telemàtica
O O O Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3
       08034 - Barcelona