Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:38:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jay@qtm.net (Network Admin [JPeterson])
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple IPs

Network Admin [JPeterson] wrote,
> I know how to assign alias0 and such to my NIC. However, I have only done
> this with IPs on the same class C..
> We have a server:
> 216.163.32.4 on a 255.255.255.0 network with a gateway of 216.163.32.1
> and we need to also have this box answer to:
> 206.53.233.50 MASK 255.255.255.0 GATEWAY 206.53.233.1
> These two are on the same leg of our ethernet, just the wrong class Cs .. is
> this possible to do with only one NIC? our next-best solution is going to be
> a second NIC but I would rather not =)

Good. Putting two (or more) NICs from one host on one segment is
wrong, wrong! WRONG!

*whew*

Sorry about that. Glad you asked before you sent the classic post
wondering why one NIC complains when it hears ARPs that the other NIC
is supposed to be receiving.

ifconfig(8) cares not if the addresses are on the same class C. In
fact, to me, it is stranger that it works fine with multiple aliases
where some aliases lie within the LAN of another.