Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:40:47 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Wes =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peters=D4?=?=?iso-8859-1?Q?=40=21=EA?=? <wes@softweyr.com>, bright@hotjobs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about re-entrancy.

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > [snip]

> > > So you're claiming that the 'Big Giant Lock' is the better way?  You
> > > can't have it both ways.
> > >

> > > Nate
> >
> > The third way (about which Terry did talk) is to have locks around
> > critical sections.
>
> That *is* what an 'object lock' in RTEMS is.

An "object lock" is a lock associated with some object. In order to access
the object, you acquire the lock.

A "critical section" lock is a lock associated with a certain critical
section of code. In order to enter that specific section of code, you
acquire the lock.

As far as I can see they aren't the same, even though they can be
combined and/or mixed.

> Nate

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.