Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 01:09:36 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

At 10:54 AM -0500 2000/4/20, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>  IMHO, the packages should be in  *.bzip.cpio instead of *.tar.gz format,
>  since bzip is better and our tar is unstandard. (also note the change in
>  order of operations here, it makes the packages easier to check before
>  unpacking). The package naming should also be something that resembles
>  8.3 format, perhaps name-version.bio.

	My understanding is that the future distribution format is going
to be "zip", which can archive and compress at the same time.  This
allows direct transparent access to the internal files, instead of
having to do two separate operations.  While I have a personal
knee-jerk animosity towards anything related to DOS, I have to admit
that this has a lot going for it.

	Given the issues with making the entire system dependant on
bzip2, and the greatly increased resources that bzip2 requires to
operate, I don't think it would be an overall improvement to switch
to it instead of gzip, given that there are other things that neither
bzip2 nor gzip can give us that we would like very much to have.