| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
I think you will need to create a custom kernel to take advantage
of the second processor.  See the FreeBSD web site for information
about how to do that (probably in the handbook).

> Here is what he wants: (These are the things that have to up and running =
> by next weekend or I will be force to use Linux or NT)

I think this is a pretty ambitious list to try to have working in
one week, but if you have time to devote it can be done.  I can give
you hints on a few of these, but someone else will have to come
through on the rest.

> file and print shares ( I dont know samba real good.....yet)

You'll be learning Samba...

> dialout internet connectivity so that when other machines want to go to =
> internet it auto dials performs NAT and acts as the firewall (I know =
> this is not real secure but it will be a temporary fix)

Use ppp (i.e. user ppp, not kernel mode pppd).  The ppp man page
is very thorough.  The really quick explanation is that if you
look at /etc/ppp/ppp.conf it should be a really basic dialup
script that will work for most ISPs if you simply edit in the
right username and password.

To get it to autodial and do NAT, invoke it as
   ppp -auto -nat papchap

If you change the section name from "papchap" in the config
file (or add a new section), use that name in the command
line.  If you are using FBSD 4.2, the command will be
invoked automatically during boot if you edit /etc/rc.conf
and add the correct options.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf is the
default configuration, add the changes to /etc/rc.conf, and
they will override the defaults.  Don't try to edit the
defaults file.  This is true for most boot options, not
just ppp invocation.

ppp includes a simple firewall capability.

> somehow to fetch email from his ISP accounts for all employees and =
> download it locally to the server
> IMAP so he can check mail for any machine

Are you saying that you want to download mail from the
ISP and re-serve it with IMAP from this server?  I'm not
sure of the best way to do the download (fetchmail sounds
like a possibility).  There are at least two IMAP servers
in the ports collection.  Cyrus has some advantages
that are mostly important if you will have a lot of people
using the server (a lot means thousands).  I found it to
be very difficult to configure because of poor documentation,
although others have said they found it very easy to
configure.

Another IMAP option is the University of Washington server,
imap-uw.  I found it to be very easy to configure, and it
performs adequately if you don't have thousands of users.

> auto updates of OS

Not likely.

> auto backups using the CD-RW

What is it that you want to back up?  My point being
that you will probably have to limit it pretty severely
to fit on a single CD.  Even your IMAP email files will
grow to fill a CD pretty quickly if your users are
anything like mine.  The fact that email usually compresses
well may help you.  In any case, you will probably have
to write your own script, e.g. tar and compress the mail
directories, then turn them into a CD image, then burn the
CD.  The following tools may be helpful:

mkisofs : takes a directory tree (or trees) and turns it
          into an ISO CD-ROM image.
burncd  : burn the ISO image to and ATAPI IDE CDR drive.
          If you have a SCSI drive, you will probably want
          to use cdrecord, but I know little about it.

> Eventually he would like faxes and voice mail to come and go from this =
> machine by using email (not quite sure what I am going to do about that =
> one)

Others use FreeBSD for faxes, so the information and
tools should be available.  I don't know about voice mail.

> Apache Web Server

Works great on FreeBSD.  See /usr/ports/www where you will
find various pre-configured versions (e.g. Apache with SSL).
I don't know if a version with PHP pre-configured is available
or not, but if it is, you should probably start with that.

> PHP
> MySQL

Both are in the ports collection.

If you haven't already done so, you will want to read the online
handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) and learn how to
install ports (in most cases, "make install" is all you need to
know).  You will find a lot of other useful information there.

> phpNuke
>
> Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Please email me =
> directly for I dont a chance to check the news groups all the time.

I hope that provided at least a starting point.  Good luck.

- Bob