Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:27:20 +0100
From:      Daniel Rock <freebsd@deadcafe.de>
To:        lars.tunkrans@bredband.net
Cc:        kellyl@sysrq.ca, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual vs single core opteron 100's

lars.tunkrans@bredband.net schrieb:
>> From: Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
>
>>> Besides the different CPUID, Athlon64 X2 (with 2x1MB Cache) and Dual-Core
>>> Opteron 1xx are exactly the same.
>
>    NO.

Sure!

>> Are you sure about this?  For example, Opteron 1xx use ECC RAM but I'm
>> not sure if the Athlons do.
>
>   Correct,  Opteron  uses socket 940  to be able to use registred
>   ECC Ram. Whilst  modern  Athlon 64  uses socket 939 to cut
>    the cost of the motherboard components and to use unregistred
>    non-ECC RAM.

We are talking about Dual-Core Opteron 1xx. Current Opteron 1xx (beginning
with E-Stepping) use Socket 939 - just like Athlon64:

	http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/opteron/
	http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/

Athlon64 and current Opteron 1xx are the same. They even share the number of
HTT links: 1 (non coherent) - only Socket 940 Opterons provide 3 HTT links.

Because of the integrated memory controller supporting or not supporting ECC
isn't a function of the chipset, but of the CPU itself (and the BIOS
initializing ECC right). Every Athlon64 (Socket 754, 939, 940) does support
ECC. The only difference is, that Socket 940 requires registered DIMMS while
the other ones work with unbuffered DIMMs.

Conclusion: Apart from different CPUID the following CPUs are *exactly the same*:

Athlon64 FX-55			Opteron 152
Athlon64 FX-57			Opteron 154
Athlon64 X2 4400+		Opteron 175
Athlon64 X2 4800+		Opteron 180

the following CPUs exist in different flavours. The E4-stepping are the same:

Athlon64 4000+			Opteron 150
Athlon64 3700+			Opteron 148

Daniel