Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:25:47 +0200
From:      Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /compat/linux/usr/bin/ld -- old devel/linux_devel port?

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:44:45 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu> (from Thu, 23 Aug 2007
> 17:57:02 +0200):
>=20
> > [I sent this to freebsd-questions@ three days ago but got no
> > answers. I hope these two lists are more appropriate places for
> > this question.]
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the recommended way for obtaining linux ld binary
> > (/compat/linux/usr/bin/ld)?
> >
> > I found in the archives that devel/linux_devel port used to provide
> > it, but it seems that there is no such port now, except
> > emulators/linux*-gentoo*.
>=20
> The linux_base ports are not designed to do linux development. They =20
> are designed to run Linux programs on FreeBSD. As such some files
> are missing to give a fallthrough to the FreeBSD versions of it.
>=20
> If you want to do Linux development on FreeBSD you need to install a =20
> linux_dist port (contains a compiler toolchain) and chroot into the =20
> corresponding directory (it's in /usr/local/...).

Alexander, many thanks for the explanation. My question was related to

  (1) an old freebsd-ports@ post (written by you):

        http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-March/009943.=
html

  (2) the recent user question regarding running Linux versions of GHDL
      and/or GNAT compilers on FreeBSD-amd64:

        http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-August/15=
5758.html

So your explanation answers the question from (2) (correct?) as well as
why linux_devel and linux_devtools ports were erased.

Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87