Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:24:12 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

In <38F9D390.56CAF339@gorean.org>, Doug Barton wrote:
> Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > In message <200004152356.e3FNup102274@cwsys.cwsent.com> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group writes:
> > : With commit of tcsh, I'd like to raise another question.  Are there any
> > : plans to replace sh with bash.  Granted they're not 100% compatible,
> >
> > What does this mean.  If it means that sh scripts won't run on BASH,
> > then I'd say the odds are very low.  tcsh runs all csh scripts as far
> > as I know.  No examples were held up in the last batch of shell
> > jihads.
>
> 	IIRC, the last time replacing /bin/sh came up several people
> experimented with zsh in POSIX mode and found a few small, gratuitous
> differences in our sh that cropped up during a make world. Results with
> Bash should be similar.

That assumption is pure prejustice and obviously not backed by any
testing.

[...]
> 	The primary criterion that I suggest for selection of a suitable
> replacement are a strict adherence to POSIX standards (or at least a
> bash-like POSIX mode), and a totally unencumbered (and/or BSD) license.
> That pretty much leaves us with pdksh and zsh. I realize that the other
> BSD's have chosen pdksh,

No, OpenBSD has, but NetBSD still uses ash for /bin/sh (with a
different set of bugfixes than ours).

Could somebody tell me whether pdksh or zsh even try to offer an
extension-free pure POSIX mode?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/