Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:52:19 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how does linux emulation work?

--=-=-=

At 2004-03-12T03:54:03Z, "Aaron Peterson" <aaron@alpete.com> writes:

> it runs chrooted to /compat/linux/ so it uses the linux libraries, and
> that's that.

No.  The binaries are not chrooted.  Other than that, you're mostly correct.

> is there more too it than that?  is there any reason i cant copy my distro
> of choice from a fresh installation into /compat/linux/, load linux.ko and
> be on my way with it?

For the most part, no, there's not.  Be aware that many of your distro's
scripts expect to find certain answers from uname, for example, and may not
be happy with FreeBSD's emulated answers.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser

"94 outdated ports on the box,
 94 outdated ports.