Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:13:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      dpk <dpk@dpk.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Server throwing "NMI ISA 20, EISA ff" messages

We have various servers, with various versions of FreeBSD throwing these
NMI messages:

NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
NMI ISA 2c, EISA ff
NMI ISA 20, EISA ff

There's no information about this anywhere that I can see, but at least
two other people have had the problem according to Google searches.

If tripwire is running while one of these messages appears, sometimes it
shows false alarms about files, indicating either memory or drive
controller problems, maybe?

At first we thought it might just be dodgy hardware. We were only getting
the first two errors on some of our older 2U white box machines. However,
this morning, we just got the third error (just prior to a complete
freeze) on a modern Dell 1750, 1GB RAM, 2.8Ghz.

The kernel source reveals nothing of use about what these errors could be.
Does anyone have a chart of what the numbers next to ISA mean, or have any
ideas where I should turn for answers?

Thanks! I'm off-list, so please Cc: me on any replies.