Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:53:06 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Linh Pham <question+advocacy@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reply to V. Velox & questions about ``evangelism''

On Saturday 17 January 2004 05:42 pm, Linh Pham wrote:

> The other key points that I like to mention about FreeBSD include:
>
> Standardized file system and directory hierarchy
> (fairly) common configuration file locations across installs
>
> when compared to the numerous Linux distributions.
>
> In almost all cases (when applications and services are installed via
> Ports or packages), configuration files and file locations are the
> same across all installs. No more trying to find out where Apache
> configs are located between Linux distributions... ditto for OpenSSH,
> dhclient, BIND, and not to mention, various MTAs.
>
> I guess it can be folded into ease of administration... :)

I don't know if this would be useful when discussing FreeBSD with Linux
users. They're already used to every distribution having different
locations for everything. To them FreeBSD is going to have yet another
set of locations, making it no different than another distro.

I would keep this discussion, but alter it to emphasize that the file
locations are "standard" across the various BSDs, follow the FHS, and
aren't "link farms".

David