Date:      17 Mar 1998 12:31:01 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brett Collars <brettc@guide.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help - Archive Python/Buslogic > uk0 ?

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> > Build the kernel with the "ch" device; see the
> > /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT  kernel template.

> I suppose I should try that too--I have exactly the same hardware, and
> I get exactly the same messages.  But it doesn't stop me using the
> hardware, it just means that I can't select the cartridge
> automatically.  I can't see anything in the messages above that
> suggest that the system doesn't recognize it.  What's the problem?

Yes it does: the "uk" device means "unknown". :-)

As brett pointed out, it didn't even recognize the tape part (bt0:6:0)
as an "st" scsi tape, let alone the "ch" changer.  Build your kernel
with support for these, then use the "chio" command to shuffle tapes.

Man, I sure wish I picked up a few more of these little guys when I
found them for <$200 each! They're pretty cool.