Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:20:17 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        hiten@unixdaemons.com
Cc:        tony@ubik.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_ti DEVICE_POLLING  patch (Was: Re: [hackers] Re: Netgraphcouldbe   a router also)

Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Hehe.  I was not being sarcastic.  I just acknoledged your statement.  The
> reason I asked about committing the patch in the first place, is because I
> thought that the patch had been around on the -net@ list, and had been reviewed.
>
> My apologies.

It's been around on the list for a while, but if it's working for
the people involved, they are not saying anything.

Last I heard, the person who had the problem had tried the Intel
Gigabit card, but not the Tigon III, but was looking for a Gigabit
card recommendation.

I suppose I could make the same patch for the Intel card.

The problem is that DEVICE_POLLING is an all-or-nothing thing,
you can't control it on a card-by-card basis, even with a
sysctl, because it fills out an entry point that's statically,
rather than procedurally initialized.

Basically, that means that the worst case, you could not turn
it on for cards that are known to work, if the patch fails to
work for the Tigon III.

If someone with a Tigon III card could try the patch with the
DEVICE_POLLING option enabled, and device polling turned on,
and let us know that the card keeps functioning, rather than
them getting a panic, then that would be enough, I think, to
say "commit it".

-- Terry