Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:34:00 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve White <sleve@emailaccount.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checksum

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 12:39:47AM -0800, Steve White wrote:
> Love your site.  Tons of info.  Want to try FreeBSD.  But Still have questions after checking faq, tutorial, Manual.
>
>   MD5 (4.4-install.iso) = 7dc237940080379760f9deac29f08384
>
> I found the above checksum for the file I downloaded. I just don't know how to use it.  I downloaded this file onto my Win98 system, but it seemed about 200 MB shy of what it was listed as being on your site.  So I will try another download tonight.  How do I run checksum to verify it?

First of all, this is the wrong list please post future questions to
the 'questions@FreeBSD.org' mailing list.

There should be an md5.exe program in the 'tools' directory of the FTP
site.  From the command prompt of your Microsoft system, just type
'md5 filename' and it will spit out a checksum that you can compare to
the one given.  Of course, if the file sizes aren't the same then the
MD5 certainly won't be either.

    - Murray