Date:      Thu, 22 May 2003 15:12:30 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Jim Ramsay <lists-dated-1054836662.7f2445@jimramsay.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emu10k1 and rear speakers

Jim Ramsay wrote:
> So far my new SB PCI 512 (emu10k1 chipset) card works wonderfully
> for playback and recording, and even simultaneous playback and
> recording!
>
> Now my question is, how can I get stuff to play out the "rear
> speaker" jack?
>
> I don't even really want a different audio to be played there
> (Read: I don't want "Livin La Vida Loca" MP3 playing out the
> front while "Hit me baby one more time" plays out the rear,
> though I suppose this could solve my problem, in a way).
>
> I'd really just like the rear speakers to be playing exactly the
> same thing as the front, but with separate volumes.
>
> Is there any support for these rear speakers on this card, or can
> I just let the jack fill up with dust?

AFAIK, the rear channel is not supported because the OSS sound
architecture (which pcm is compatable with) doesn't support adding
additional channels.  IIRC, someone was working on fixing this, but it
was a fairly major rewrite and I havn't heard anything about it for some
time.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer