Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2013 07:55:47 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ix? / Intel(R) PRO/10GbE

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, Daniel Braniss wrote:

> > On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> >
> > > I finally got a 10G card that is recognized by FreeBSD (9.1-stable):
> > > ix0: <Intel(R) PRO/10GbE PCI-Express Network Driver, Version - 2.4.8>=
 port
> > > 0xecc0-0xecdf mem 0xd9e80000-0xd9efffff,0xd9ff8000-0xd9ffbfff irq 40 =
at d=3Device
> > > 0.0 on pci4
> > > ix0: Using MSIX interrupts with 9 vectors
> > > ix0: RX Descriptors exceed system mbuf max, using default instead!
> >
> > From reading sys/dev/ixgbe/README:
> >
> > echo "kern.ipc.nmbclusters=3D262144" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
> > echo "kern.ipc.nmbjumbop=3D262144" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
> > reboot
>=20
> but this only works if the driver is loaded after
> the sysctl is executed!
> it's better to put it in /boot/loader.conf

Not necessarily, it depends when the driver grabs the mbufs. In the case of=
 the igb/ixgb/ixgbe drivers, this happens when the interface is brought up =
(not when the driver is loaded, nor when the driver probes/attaches a PHY).=
 In other words, you don't have to worry about mbuf exhaustion until you sa=
y "ifconfig ix0 up" (in the case of ixgbe, bringing up even a single interf=
ace is enough through the default mbufs and require more).

Since sysctl.conf is processed before the network is brought up, putting th=
e parameters in sysctl.conf will be perfectly suitable for most needs (unle=
ss for some strange reason you need to "up" an interface before sysctl.conf=
 is processed).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.