Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:13:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is it safe to run a webserver on 5.x ?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, bsdfsse wrote:

> I started running FreeBSD because a friend of mine is going to run a
> website on 4.10-STABLE.  Someone had told him that 4.x was "safer" to
> run than 5.x.
>
> Recently I had a hardware problems on one of my machines that is forcing
> me to run 5.x on it, instead of 4.x.  Should I lobby my friend to also
> run 5.x ?  His webserver will be behind a hardware firewall.
>
> Its my understanding servers on the web often run the "security
> release", which is RELEASE+fixes.  That way, no new features in STABLE
> introduce more exploitable bugs.  Other people run web servers on STABLE
> (they must feel confident that nothing new is going to break).
>
> After reading different places on the web, I haven't been able to draw a
> conclusion.  Any suggestions?

As far as I can tell from my experiences, I'd make no difference between
4.10 and 5.x concerning system security as long as 4.10 will be supported.

As long as the current hardware is supported, you'll be on the safe side
using 4.10 if high system stability is desired.

I run 5.2-CURRENT (build in the mid of August) on a single processor
server, and it does well. But I did encounter several problems with 5.x on
dual processor hardware, and so I still do not consider to migrate my dual
CPU production machines to 5.x. I hope that 5.3-RELEASE will convince me
in the month to come.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de